The topics listed are informational areas and individual websites that can be accessed by members of The American Academy of Special Education Professionals (AASEP). If you are not a member of AASEP, and would like to join AASEP, click on the following link: Join AASEP to Register .
Members of AASEP, please login (member login and password) to have full access to all the information and other websites links, in our database.
Can I Trust This Information?
- Weighing information for its worth: This Connections page takes up that very real concern. As we rely more and more on the Internet for information, and as we seek to base our decisions upon research evidence, it's important to consider the information, and its source, through the lens of a cautious consumer. But how do we do that? The resources listed below will hopefully shed light on the "how" of weighing information, as well as the "why."
- A very thorough overview of the illness including tips for teachers and parents.: Cerebral palsy--also known as CP--is a condition caused by injury to the parts of the brain that control our ability to use our muscles and bodies. Cerebral means having to do with the brain.
- Cerebral Palsy- numerous topics on this website in the section on Exceptional Children and Disability Information-Orthopedic Impairments.
- Information about charter schools, locate in your area, updates on the topic of these innovative schools, incentives, learn about programs, how to start a charter school, special links for parents, grants.: From US Charter Schools Association.
- Charter Schools Development Center: Has workshops, services, grants, studies and research of and for charter schools.
- Technical Assistance for Setting up a Charter School
- New York State Charter School Law
- Charter School Applications
- Charter Schools Operating in New York State
- Public Per Pupil Aid to Charter Schools
- This site provides a full list of informative topics about charter schools from employment requirements to student admission requirements and a list of links to related websites.: From the Arizona Department of Education
- This site informs you about the laws and issues surrounding charter schools and how they rate in different states.: From the Center for Education Reform
- This site explains what this organization does in terms of charter schools. It describes the curriculum under national and state standards, and has other information that is useful for getting familiar with the charter school system.: From Charter Schools USA.
Child Abuse and Neglect - Awareness and Reporting Responsibilities - Click Here
Child Study Teams
- Prereferral-Child Study Team: The purpose of the prereferral process is to ensure your child tries reasonable accommodations and modifications before she’s referred for special education assessment.
Children’s Literature and Disability
- Children's Literature and Disability: This list of Resources You Can Use is intended to help parents and professionals identify books that are written about or include characters who have a disability. The list is grouped according to disability or issue
- Race, Gender, and Disability in Today's Children's Literature: Author highlights the importance of integrating into children’s literature, all the diversities of disability, race, gender, culture, and exposes their paucity in today’s publications for children.
- A Guide to Children's Literature and Disability: This is a bibliography intended to help professionals and parents identify books that are about, or include, characters having disabilities. The list is grouped according to a large variety of disabilities.
- Internet resources on literature for children with learning disabilities: Shows booklists, audio/video sources, and other literary media resources designed for those with disabilities.
- This site provides information on a text dealing with disabilities, illness, and children’s literature: helpful for early childhood, elementary general education, and special education teachers.
- Children with Attention Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder
- Children with Autism
- Children with Emotional Disturbance
- Children with Hearing Impairments
- Children with Learning Disabilities
- Children with Mental Retardation
- Children with Orthopedic Impairments
- Children with Other Health Impairments
- Speech and Language Impairments
- Children with Traumatic Brain Injury
- Children with Visual Impairments
Communicating Test Results to Parents - Click Here
Computer Software for Special Education
- Products for persons with special needs: Offers AT software, devices, services and workshops, special software, games, adaptive parts for furniture, and miscellaneous items adapted for many disabilities.
- Family Village computer software: Provides links for computer peripherals, communication aids, and assistive technology devices for a host of physical and other disability challenges.
- Closing the Gap: This is newspaper, resource directory, conference listing, AT solutions, and forum.
- LAB Resources:This site has products you can purchase and offers training classes and tutorials on how to use assistive technology software.
- Horizon Software: This site offers special education management software products.
Curriculum Activities for Children with Disabilities
- Early Childhood Research Institute: Storybook activities for young children with disabilities and their families, and teachers.
- Selected Internet Resources for the Arts and Disabilities: A worthwhile site to links such as the American Arts Therapy Association, American Dance therapy Asociation, American Music Therapy Association and much more.
- Sports and Recreational Activities for Children with Physical Disabilities: Has numerours url links to organizations who hold the various athletic events for disabled children, with articles, websites, names, addresses, and phone numbers, government links, and long lists of sports accommodating the disabled, and all contact information included.
- Topics include numerous sites on multicultural education: issues covered: Multicultural education articles, multicultural activities for children, multicultural education curriculum.
- Art for children and adults with disabilities: This site offers lesson plans and activities in art for people with disabilities and advice on how to go about teaching them.
Curriculum Adaptation-See individual disability categories under Exceptional Children and Disability Information - CLICK HERE
Curriculum Based Assessment (CBA)
- Definitions of Curriculum based assessment
Curriculum-Factors Affecting Success - Click Here